One of the most iconic style choices for cars in recent memory is the sunroof. Whether it is to enjoy the beautiful summer weather or for added cool effect when out at night looking at stars, the sunroof was one of the most must-have features on vehicles of all kinds. However, whether a having a sunroof is a necessity for drivers or not is an entirely different question, it is important to consider the pros and cons and whether or not a sunroof is something that your new car absolutely has to have.
Sunroof vs Moon-roof vs Panoramic sunroof
Before going in to the pros and cons of a sunroof, it is important to know the differences between a moon-roof, a sunroof and a panoramic sunroof. You may think all of them are interchangeable but there are actually distinct differences between each one that make them unique.
Sunroof– Typically a sunroof is a solid, body-colored panel that either pops up or is completely removable.
Moon-roof– A moon-roof is a type of sunroof but instead of a solid, body-colored panel, it is a sliding glass panel. A majority of newer vehicles actually have a moon-roof as the older sunroof has mostly gone out of style with drivers.
Panoramic sunroof– This is a larger than average sunroof that is able to open and let in additional light and fresh air.
Pros and cons of sunroof that you need to know
- Sightseeing– Obviously the biggest plus of having a sunroof in your vehicle is the benefits of improved views of both the sunlight or the stars, while also improving airflow on the beautiful summer days when all the windows are rolled down.
- Improved Cell Phone Reception– This is a little less obvious but having a sunroof can lead to better cell phone reception in areas where it may be patchy or harder to maintain. Staying completely enclosed can reduce service capabilities so an open sunroof helps to improve your phone’s reception.
- Aesthetically Pleasing– While superficial, it is true that a sunroof is an extremely aesthetically pleasing addition to any vehicle. Most drivers want a sleeker, more futuristic look for their car no matter if it is an SUV or a sedan or sports car and having a sunroof is a great touch for that.
- Expensive– Should you have a vehicle with a sunroof and the sunroof become cracked or broken, it can be extremely expensive to repair or replace. Installing a replacement sunroof is also extremely difficult and a sunroof that has been poorly installed can allow leaks and excess noises from the wind while driving.
- Reduced Interior Space– Having a sunroof can lead to less interior headroom, which is an issue for having taller passengers in the car. It does not affect every driver but for taller drivers it is an important thing to consider.
- Excess Weight– Having a sunroof can add up to between 30 and 40 pounds of excess weight and stress on your car. This may reduce fuel mileage and add extra pressure and strain on the components of your vehicle, which can lead to more maintenance being required.
- Added Mechanical Issue– A sunroof can be just another technical piece that is prone to breaking or leaking or requiring expensive maintenance or repair.
- Irrelevance– Other than looking cool and adding nice views and sunlight, a sunroof is just an expensive decoration for a vehicle. If it fits your style and preferences than it can be beneficial but for actual function it is relatively ineffective.
In a nutshell
A sunroof is a great showcase for individual style and preferences and has become a staple of many newer model vehicles. While sunroofs add sleek design touches and are perfect for summer drives or night drives spent stargazing, they are not completely necessary to most drivers. The cons that surround sunroofs to some drivers make them unnecessary additional costs and risks to take on that is simply not worth it given the limited uses and effects they have on taller passengers and repair costs. For drivers that think they will utilize them often with minimal concerns about high repair or replacement costs, who live in areas that are kind to sunroofs with less harsh winters and plenty of beaches, they can be a great additional way to enjoy the ideal weather while maintaining a sleek car design.